The Brandon Wheat Kings dipped back into the Czech Republic on Wednesday morning, using the 24th overall pick in the CHL Import Draft to select 18-year-old forward Martin Kaut.
Kaut hails from Pardubice, which is just over 200 KM from the hometown of current Wheat Kings defenseman Daniel Bukac.
Kaut played for Pardubice in the U-20 Czech Jr. league last season recording 4 goals and 12 assists in 22 games played to go along with 24 penalty minutes. He also played 26 game for HC Dynamo Pardubice in the Czech Elite League.
On the international stage, Kaut was a member of the 2016 Czech Rebuplic team that played in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament, registering 4 points in 5 games.
The Wheat Kings had an open import spot after the graduation of Russian defenseman Dmitry Osipov.
With the Entry Draft behind them, members of the Brandon Wheat Kings both drafted and un-drafted are looking to impress at the NHL level this week.
Many NHL teams opened up their annual development camps on Monday and there is a strong Wheat City Connection.
Drafted Wheat Kings at Camps
Nolan Patrick (Philadelphia) – TBD
Daniel Bukac (Boston) – July 6th to 9th
Tanner Kaspick (St Louis) – June 28th – July 1st
Stelio Mattheos (Carolina) – June 28th – July 1st
Kale Clague (Los Angeles) – June 27th – June 30th
Free Agent Wheat Kings at Camps
Dmitry Osipov (Las Vegas) – June 27th to July 1st
Logan Thompson (Las Vegas) – June 27th to July 1st
**Reid Duke (Las Vegas) – June 27th to July 1st
Tyler Coulter (Arizona) – June 26th – 29th
Ty Lewis (Colorado) – June 26th – 29th
** Indicates signed
Westman Connections at Camps
Zach Whitecloud (Virden Oil Capitals) – Los Angeles Kings
Wyatt Kalynuk (Virden Oil Capitals) – Philadelphia Flyers
Brady Keeper (OCN Blizzard) – Los Angeles Kings
Dean Stewart (Portage Terriers) – Arizona Coyotes
The Brandon Wheat Kings, in association with the Western Hockey League have unveiled their 2017-18 regular season schedule.
The schedule will begin with a home and home series with the Regina Pats, beginning with the hockey club’s Home Opener on Friday, September 22nd.
– Brandon plays three home games in September, five in October, five more in November, 7 in December, five in January, six in February and five in March to close out the regular season
– Brandon’s annual west coast tour features stops in all U.S. Division teams, beginning Wednesday, January 17th in Spokane against the Chiefs
– The west coast road trip also includes stops in Tri-Cities, Everett, Portland and Seattle as part of a season high 7-game road trip in January, that concludes with a 2-game series against the Ice in Kootenay.
– Wheat Kings will close out their pre-Christmas schedule by playing the Warriors in Moose Jaw on Saturday, December 16th
– The Wheat Kings’ 880 CKLQ Sportsman’s Dinner will be held on Thursday, February 8th. The annual Scholarship Foundation event will be followed by games on Friday, February 9th against the visiting Saskatoon Blades
– Brandon will host two games over the Christmas break – Wednesday, Dec. 27th vs Regina and Saturday, Dec. 30th against Moose Jaw
– The Wheat Kings will feature two 5-game home stands – from Dec. 6th – 15th and from Jan. 5thto 13th.
– The club’s Annual Remembrance Day game will be played at 7:30pm on Saturday, November 11th against visiting Saskatoon Blades
Click here for a full schedule